Friday, December 30, 2011

Breaking Ground: Day Two

HOLY MOLY!  I definitely underestimated how much hard work goes into digging a hole.  No, no, no I'm no pansy.  This was not just any hole.  This was a three foot deep, 200-foot long trench along the border of a jungle.  In summary this was my work day: we dug right into a Fire Ant hole that was at least five feet deep (with humungo red ants that looked like they had bulging back ends), someone had a jumping spider leap onto them; I was chased around by a little boy named Wan with a leche... or earth worm (as we know it); and frequently scared by kids making me think they are going to throw an earthworm on me (I'm not proud of this stupid and completely irrational fear, but everyone has their quirks.)

Anyway moving on... My roommate had a mysterious vine wrap around her arm and sting her and the Honduran workers (and some of the kids) helped us chop tree roots with machetes (I consider this every little boy's dream in America that will not come true due to protective mothers (rightly-so... it 's a MACHETE!).  All the while, for about four to five hours out of the day we were loosening the soil with a pitch ax and digging this GINORMOUS hole.  Hmmm.. As I read this I figure you may want to know what the hole is meant for....

Recently, the school that was built by Students Helping Honduras (the organization I am here with) was broken into multiple times.  This humungo hole that we're digging is to put up a security fence to protect the school.  By the end of the 8 days it should be just about completely built.  It's cool to be apart of protecting such a precious treasure as a school.  It's hard work but these children are so grateful for everything they have, I feel like I'm playing a role in maintaining their happiness by protecting their most valuable gift, their education.


Moving forward...Lunch, or almuerzo, was wonderful we went to a Honduran family's home and learned to make baleadas, fried eggs (literally, there was more oil than egg. For once, I didn't care because my stomach was taking priority over my health.) We also had homemade coffee and the best part was the pineapple filled empanadas which kind of looked like a fried pierogie, but the crust was buttery like a biscuit. 

At this home, we played with six of the mother's ten children.  One of the little girls took the plastic bag that was originally filled with water and blew air in it and then (using her teeth) twisted it really tight and bit on it really hard essentially creating a balloon. Then she and I played the "touch it before it touches the ground" balloon game.  I was impressed by her ingenuity.  It's true that necessity is the mother of invention.  That little girl wanted a toy so by golly she was going to make it herself!

We ended the workday around 4:00pm in the best way we knew how.... with a game of soccer ... *ahem football.  I played goalkeeper and ended the evening with only one bruise requiring a band aid. The highlight: A triple whammy save... BAM with the foot, BAM with the chest, and BAM with a dive.  Gotta love the adrenaline rush of playing goalkeeper! 

It's now 9pm. I got a much need shower for smelly ol' me and had a large dinner.  When I came home I had a splitting headache and an upset stomach.  I guarantee these were due to dehydration.  Having gone to the bathroom only twice during the whole day.  (If you think that's TMI, you need to get to know me better.)

I'm feeling so much better now and ready to sleep.  Tomorrow is another busy day and this body needs to recharge. *Yawn... nighty night, fellow explorers!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment